Monday, December 05, 2011

Near Picketpost Mountain

Last winter we had some snow down below about 3500 feet. I went out to Superior and tried (with limited success) to find a spot from which to get decent pictures of Picketpost Mountain. I think I found a great spot yesterday, and I didn't even have to get out of my truck.


This is FR231, aka Reymert Road (on some maps).

I did get out of the truck, though, and I climbed a fair sized hill before I discovered the road. Well, I needed the exercise.


Picketpost Mountain from the top of the hill.

It was still pretty cloudy when I was on the hill. I could tell that the clouds were thinning out and I wanted to hang around up there a while and get more pictures as the clouds cleared, but I didn't have clothes warm enough to just stand around as the sun set. I had to keep moving or freeze. It was probably in the 50's out there, but I freeze at remarkably high temperatures. I really need to put some warm clothes in the backpack now that it's cooled off, in case I get stuck out there.

There was a little snow at the very top of Picketpost. There was more on the mountains east of Superior, but it was mostly hidden in clouds.

Look closely and you can see a little snow in the distance on the left.

I had a pretty good view of the mountains to the north, which are the rugged mountains you drive through on your way to the Roger's Trough trailhead. Well, I would have had a good view if it wasn't so hazy and cloudy. I need to go back there when it's clear and get better pictures.


Hewitt Canyon road goes through those mountains.

Click below to see all of the pictures.

2011_12_04

No comments: