Thursday, March 19, 2009

First Water Creek trailhead

Several years ago (it seems like a long time ago, but it has to be less than 5 years), I went for a long hike on some trails in the Superstition Wilderness. I think I covered 14 miles that day. I remember that I was really happy when I got back to the trailhead. I haven't hiked out there since then, except for a very short hike today. The reason is that you had to pay $4 to park at the trailhead and I'm a tightwad. Why pay money to hike when there are beautiful places to hike for free everywhere you turn out here?


I learned recently that there is no longer a fee to park there. I decided to take a short hike down the trail to see if it looked like I remembered. The rocks I trudged over for the last quarter mile back to the truck looked exactly like I remembered them. The rest of the scenery was much prettier than I remember, though. Maybe the late afternoon sun and the fact that it was much cooler this time made it prettier. I'm going to have to go back there some more.



The trailhead. The parking lot is pretty big.



The beginning of the trail. That's nice.



I saw lots of flowers.



I climbed a hill near the trail to get a better view of my surroundings.


Click below to see all of the pictures.


2009_03_19

1 comment:

Scott said...

Looks like the perfect way to wind up a work day! Paying fees for hiking fees annoys me too.