Monday, July 06, 2009

Back to Roger's trough

I went back to the Roger's Trough trailhead on Sunday, hoping that it would be cooler up there. It was around 108 on the drive out there, and 95 by the time I parked. I guess that is a little cooler. My plan was to hike a short distance on the West Pinto Trail. It intersects the Roger's Trough trail a short distance from the trailhead. It wasn't too long before I got to what must be Roger's Trough.



Roger's trough.


It seemed that the trail continued beyond the trough. There was orange tape in the trees, and I thought that was somebody's way of marking the trail. Everything that looked like a trail went off into the brush or just petered out, though. I kept wandering around, looking for the trail. I finally decided to go in the direction that I thought it went, to see if I could find it again. I found more rabbit trails. I also came across a beehive. It was too hot to try to outrun killer bees (if that's what they were), so I gave it a wide berth. I finally got to a place that I couldn't go any further in the direction I wanted to go without pushing through a lot of brush. I was hot and feeling a little wobbly, so decided to call it quits. I headed back to the area of the trough on a slightly different route than I had taken out, and guess what I found. I knew it was the trail because it was well worn. I had to follow it for a little way so I would be able to find it the next time I was out there.



The trail through a woodsy area.


There were some cairns marking the trail, but with all the trees, bushes, and grass, the cairns were hard to find. I don't see how anybody would know to turn right where you are supposed to turn right. I have some ideas for finding the trail more quickly next time I lose it, though.


I didn't see as many animals on the drive back this time as I did on Friday. A deer ran across the road in front of me, but that was about it. Oh, I also saw a collared lizard. Might have been a female eastern collared lizard. I didn't get a very good look at it, and it ran away as I got the camera out.



As always, the view was great.


Click below to see all of the pictures.


2009_07_05

No comments: