Friday, October 14, 2011

Spiders. Not.

A few years ago, I had been standing on some river rocks at the edge of the Salt River, and dozens of spiders came up from their hiding places between and under the rocks to hunt, "socialize", or search for a mate (actually, I have no idea why they were on top of the rocks). I got a few pictures then, but I thought a super panorama stitched together out of lots of pictures might look cool. I finally got around to doing that a couple of days ago. I think it was too late in the year, though. I only saw three spiders. Maybe it was too late in the day, too. It was too dark to get any good pictures.


One grainy spider picture.

I saw a few strange things out there. Lots of people go out there, though, so I guess strange things should be expected. First was a hole that somebody had dug in the sand of a wash. What made it strange was that it had boards around the sides, like it was a mine shaft. The hole had been filled in with rocks.


What's under those rocks? I'm not about to look. Help yourself.


The river almost always looks pretty.

The next strange thing was a dead cow. Well, dead cows aren't strange. I've come across dead cows everywhere that cows hang out. The strange thing about this one was that it was in a place where there shouldn't be any cows. Must have been dropped there by a UFO when the aliens were done with it. Wait. I just realized that maybe it's a horse. There are wild horses out there. I only paused near it long enough to get a quick picture. I can't hold my breath for very long when I'm hiking.


Putrid cow. Or horse.

The third strange thing was lots of pieces of fabric in trees. I guess the river left them there, but where did it get them? Also, I didn't know the river ever got that high. With all the dams on the Salt, I wonder if it's possible for it to flood right there any more. This was just a few miles downstream of the Stewart Mountain dam.


Fabric in trees.


Getting late. I like the way this turned out.

Except for the stinky cow, it was a fun hike. Click below to see all of the pictures.

2011_10_12

No comments: