Wednesday, April 03, 2013

The trail off FR80

It isn't an official trail, but it's well-worn now. It was hard to follow when I first found it 7 or 8 years ago. Gary is in town for his annual visit and I wanted to show him some nice scenery that a lot of people don't get to see. We started the hike at about 10 a.m., which seemed really strange to me. I'm not used to seeing that area with the sun at that angle.


I don't think I've ever seen this scene in this light before.


Gary found a cross-shaped cholla. Well, it was Easter Sunday.


You can see the shadow of that arch at this time of day.

We took a break when we got to the plateau near the end of the trail. The trail splits there. After enjoying the view for a while and wandering around a little, we decided it was time to head back.


I don't know if the light made it easier to recognize stuff or if I've just become more familiar with the area. For example, I know that Tortilla Flat is on the other side of that mesa in the middle of this picture. I don't think I had realized that before.


We saw a Desert Mariposa. This is only the second one I've ever seen. (The other one was on the Boulder Canyon trail.) They are beautiful flowers.

Click below to see all of the pictures.

2013_03_31

No comments: