Monday, April 01, 2013

From the Jacob's Crosscut trailhead to the Massacre Grounds trail

The road to the Massacre Grounds trailhead was closed a few years ago. I've been BMWing about it since. A few weeks ago, somebody mentioned that there was a now a trail from the Jacob's Crosscut parking area over to the Massacre Grounds trail. I was skeptical. I finally went to check it out. It's a real trail, with signs.


I was wondering if I would be able to find the trail when I bumped into this sign.

The trail is marked frequently with cairns but is well-worn now and would be easy to follow without the cairns. I was there kind of late in the day (on a weekday) so I only followed it as far as the beginning of the Massacre Grounds trail.


There's plenty of nice scenery along the way.


The trail is easy to follow, at least in the spring when it's lined on both sides with green.


In the middle of a stand of cholla.


I took lots of pictures of the Superstition Mountains.

I'll have to go back with more sunshine to see if I can make it to the end of the trail. The move adds a mile each way to the hike. It's an easy mile but my joints complain about long distances these days. Click below to see all of the pictures.

2013_03_26

No comments: