Sunday, August 04, 2013

Driving around

I'm not sure that it's really too hot to hike, but that is why I haven't been hiking much lately. Hey, if you think it's too hot, then it is. You would think I would try to go someplace cooler, but instead I tend to drive around close to the valley. That is one way that I find new places to hike once it cools off. Anyway, one day last week I went driving around the desert south of Florence Junction. There were some nice clouds around and I took pictures mainly of those. I need to figure out how to get the clouds to look good without making the ground look bizarre.


Clouds over Dromedary Peak.


A small shower to the southeast.


Fluffy clouds over .... the desert.

When I got back to 60, there were some stranded travelers there. I gave them a ride to a gas station in Gold Canyon, then back to their car. One of them, the tall one, came to Phoenix for the first time in June. I hope she gets to stay until it cools off. It's a nice place when it isn't 112 degrees.


Beware: When the fuel light comes on, your Prius will only go another 14 miles.

Later in the week I needed to get out of town and drove out Four Peaks road, and on out to Cottonwood Campground. It was quite crowded for this time of year. I saw 3 vehicles there.


One of my favorite views of Four Peaks. I like all the saguaros in the foreground.


I took this picture to show the moisture in the air.

If you are sitting on the left side of the plane when you fly from Phoenix to Houston, you will probably see an incredible looking canyon out in the middle of nowhere. Actually, it doesn't look that incredible from about 15,000 or 20,000 feet, but if you recognize some nearby mountains you will realize that it must be an incredible canyon. I have finally figured out that it must be Aravaipa Canyon. A permit is required to hike there. I have no idea how hard it is to get a permit. I do want to hike there someday, though. It must be an amazing place to see. Obviously, I haven't been there yet, but I bring it up because I did drive out the road to the trailhead yesterday and I saw a Gila monster and a couple of desert tortoises. I made a movie of the Gila monster and of one of the tortoises. They make an interesting contrast.


This Gila monster came within about 15 feet of me but didn't know I was there until I took a couple of steps. It didn't notice me messing with the camera, or the sound of the shutter. I guess their eyesight isn't real good. This is the first time I've been near one that didn't see me first, though. Well, they're small.


The tortoise. He wasn't as active as the Gila monster.

I'll upload pictures from that area later. Click below and belower for the other pictures.

2013_07_27

2013_07_28

No comments: