Sunday, November 19, 2006

Another hike near FR80

There's a side road off of FR80 that looks like it doesn't go anywhere. I confirmed that today. I went down it a little ways and decided to hike to the top of a hill near there, to see what the view was like. I figured I would have a view of another hill, or something equally boring. The view was great, though. Click on the picture below to see all of the pictures.




The first picture shows the boring hill. The next nine are the view in various directions. There was other cool looking stuff, but the lighting wasn't good so I didn't include those pictures.


Next is what looks to me like fossilized wood. The next picture has what looks like more fossilized wood. Also, all the circular things look kind of like cross sections of sticks. I say "kind of" because they seem to have a radial pattern instead of rings. Maybe some plants have that, though. Hey, maybe there's an advantage to being ignorant. You won't know things that shoot down your theories. Make up things to explain the facts and charge ahead. Reminds me of something that's been in the news lately...


Anyway, back to the stick cross sections. Notice that there are also some circular depressions. If you look in the right place you will also see some circular bumps. Hmm. The next picture has more of the "cross sections".


Then there's a couple of pictures of some of my fingers. Oh, and they're holding a rock. The rock is mostly spherical, except for the parts that broke off. The center is chewy chocolate small crystalline quartz (I'm guessing) and it has an outer shell of something else (kind of like an M&M). The next picture shows lots of the "nodules" stuck toghether. There were also a lot of unbroken spheres laying around. Anyway, the point of all this is that I started to think that maybe the "cross sections" were actually these spheres imbedded in rock and not fossils. I'm going to go back out there some time and spend a couple of hours looking at rocks and see if I can figure it out.


The last picture is a stick that I was carrying back to the truck. Looks like there's a bark scorpion in it. That scared me. It's just the exoskeleton, though.

No comments: