Sunday, July 22, 2007

FR80

Date: July 22, 2007
Time and Temperature: Start - 1640, 98
End - 1824, 91
Location: Just off of NF-80, between Tortilla Flat and Apache Lake
Distance hiked: About a mile
Elevation change: I'm guessing about 250 feet.
The numbers:
71 Pictures taken
1 Movie made
9 Millipedes spotted crossing the road
1 Pregnant woman standing beside the road in the middle of nowhere
1 Pair of scissors found in the desert.


Ramblings: Ninety-eight doesn't sound as hot as 105, but it felt worse to me. It was that low because of the humidity. I got soaked. I sat in the shade for 15 minutes to cool off and was still wet when I got up. The nice thing about the humidity, though, is the pretty clouds. I didn't get any really good pictures of them, though. In fact, after going through all the pictures twice to select which ones to put on the web album, I only had one selected. I went ahead and stuck some more on there, though.


Termites were swarming. I took a few pictures of them. No good ones. I saw a beetle out there I hadn't seen before. It wouldn't be still. All the pictures of it are blurred. I didn't get any pictures of the millipedes because I was driving when I saw them.


I thought I could see the Fish Creek Hill rest stop from where I was, so I drove over there after my hike to see what the place where I hiked looked like from the rest stop. It looked boring, but the view from up there was great. On the way back, about half a mile before I got to the paved part of the road, I saw a pregnant woman standing beside the road. She was looking back towards Fish Creek Hill as if she was waiting for somebody to show up. She didn't seem to be in distress so I didn't bug her. There was a lot of traffic on the road so she could have gotten a ride if she needed it. I saw what was probably her van parked where the pavements ends.


Two of the pictures were taken at Fish Creek Hill. Whoever can tell me which two wins a prize.


FR80_2007_07_22

No comments: