Friday, July 13, 2007

New format

I thought I would try a standardized (my standard) format for my hiking blogs so that it will be easy for people to find the information they are looking for when they check my blogs. I'll try it for a while and you can vote on whether you like it or not. OK, the voting rules: only votes posted as non-anonymous comments to this blog will count. Anonymous comments, or emails sent directly to me, will be read with disdain and pity, then ignored forever after.


Date: July 12, 2007
Time and Temperature: Start - ~5:40, 110
End - ~7:54, 98
Location: Bulldog Canyon. Click here for map
Distance hiked: About 2.7 miles
Elevation change: About 375 feet
The numbers:
15 Cans collected
2 Plastic bags collected
1 Golf ball and brake shoe collected
5 Cactus (cholla) thorns in hands
0 Cactus thorns in buttocks. Woohoo!
1 Liter of water consumed


Ramblings: I don't usually go for hikes when it is over 105, but it had been a long time since I'd been out in the desert, and I missed it. I almost overdid it, though. The problem is that it's hard to drink water that's over 100 degrees. I felt fine during the hike and afterwards, but it was the middle of the next morning before my bladder filled up. I'm going to start packing a frozen bottle of water and maybe something like Gatorade on really hot days.


The heat is really stressful. I tried to stay on level ground most of the way. I was going up the (steep) side of a wash once, with the sun shining on my back, and going slowly, but my heart was pounding and I was gasping for air as my body tried to get rid of the heat. As long as I wasn't climbing, there was a nice breeze that kept me comfortable. I also stopped in the shade of a saguaro now and then.


I noticed something interesting. If you find a bunch of beer cans laying around, that means you are near a road. People who drink beer don't like to carry it. Apparently, they don't even like to carry the empties in their vehicle.


I came across a U.S. General Land Office survey marker. Rocks had been piled around it. Then some critter piled cholla balls on the rocks. Then spiders wove webs around all of that.


BC_2007_07_12

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Love the new format, Dad. I can never tell if you're joking or serious though... so I might as well comment anyway. Reading this blog made my day, so I wanted to thank you for keeping up with it. You can always make me laugh. Love you lots!

Skid Plate said...

Looks good, but also looks like a lot of work. I have been thinking you should keep good records of your hikes so you can write a book someday. I think a book about hikes close to the valley would be a big hit. At least as big as a hiking book could be.

Unknown said...

Actually, it's less work that trying to figure out how to work all that information into text.