Thursday, September 20, 2007

Burning tires

Date: September 20, 2007
Location: Lone Mountain, Bulldog Canyon
Time and temperature: I forgot to look
Elevation change: 750 feet
The numbers:
50 Pictures taken
200 "Film" speed, dag nabbit
67 ants photographed
3 golf balls found


Ramblings: My truck is filling up with golf balls. Maybe I should take up golf so I can get rid of them. Oh, heck, I should just go throw them in a water hazard and save a lot of trouble.


There was a fire today that filled almost the entire valley with smoke. It was pretty ugly. I was headed for Bulldog Canyon and decided to climb Lone Mountain to see if I could get some pictures of the smoke.


As I started up Lone Mountain, I noticed occasional yellow ribbons tied to palo verde branches. Looked like somebody was marking the trail, but the trail seemed much more prominent that it did last time I was up there about 2 years ago. I don't climb it much because I don't like the noise from the nearby gun range or Usery Pass road. Somebody had also placed a lot of cairns along the trail As I got closer to the top, the trail had switchbacks. Somebody had put a lot of effort into the trail. This wasn't some hiker doing something just for fun. It's a very nice trail.


There is a bench (I think) at the top that has "EJ Peak" written on it. I don't know who named it that. It's still Lone Mountain as far as I know.


Several times over the years, I've taken pictures of ants because I thought it might make interesting computer wallpaper. The ants didn't stand out, though, so the pictures just looked like pictures of dirt. I think I've figured out how to make those kinds of pictures work, though.


BC_2007_09_20

No comments: