Wednesday, September 15, 2010

To the top of Ittindi Rock

It was only 103 when I got home yesterday, so headed out to go for a hike. I was planning to go to Bulldog Canyon but along the way I remembered that my pass has expired. So then I headed toward Canyon Lake, not sure where I would end up. I eventually decided that I would go to the top of Ittindi Rock. I'm out of shape from staying indoors during the hot weather and I didn't want to do anything too strenuous. When I parked and looked out the window at Ittindi Rock, though, it looked anything but easy. It looked enormous. The sun was headed for the horizon, though, so I wasn't going to go someplace else.


Ittindi Rock doesn't look quite so tall in this picture as it does when you are standing there planning to climb it.

It had been long enough since I've been up there that I had completely forgotten I would be following a power line maintenance road for a while. That made the hike easier and faster. I got to the saddle where the real climbing starts well before sunset. Well, it isn't real climbing, but it's a lot steeper than a road.


Mormon Flat dam from the top of Ittindi Rock.

There seemed to be more of a trail up there than there was last time, though it's still pretty faint. Paloverdes had blown down on it during the recent monsoon storms, too. A trail isn't really necessary, though. Unless you are rock climbing there's only one way up, and only one survivable way down.


The views are very nice from the top. This is looking toward the Superstition Mountains.


A view of Canyon Lake. It's getting dark down there.

It wasn't as difficult to get to the top as I was afraid it would be. It was beautiful up there as the sun sank toward the horizon. I wan't to sit and enjoy the view for a while, but I also wanted to get down the steep part with plenty of light.


The Superstition Mountains, again.

My legs weren't too wobbly by the time I got back to the truck. It was a good workout, and hiking in 100 degree Arizona weather feels so much better than standing around in Texas coast mugginess. Click below to see all of the pictures.

2010_09_14

No comments: