Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mexican Gold Poppies

The weather forecast made today sound like a good day to get pictures of flowers, and it is. Blue skies with a few puffy clouds. I think Mexican gold poppies look best with the sun shining on them.


I almost didn't go out to get pictures. Suzanne was going to go with me, but she bent over to pick something up and hurt her back. It didn't feel right going by myself when she was supposed to be with me. Then, on Usery Pass Rd, a girl on a bicycle swerved in front of me. The only reason I can imagine that she would have done that is that she is suicidal. I was planning to go to Four Peaks road, and as I drove down Bush Highway, I kept thinking about the construction at 87 and how I might have to drive through town on my way back because of that. I was looking for a place to turn around when I came to the road to Butcher Jones park (just north of Saguaro Lake). I decided to see if there were any flowers at that entrance to the Rolls.


Less than a mile into the Rolls, I came to a patch of Mexican poppies on the side of a hill. I spent almost an hour there taking pictures. A couple of them turned out OK. The poppies are the only flowers that are blooming in any numbers so far. I did take a few pictures of an Arizona lupine, but they are all out of focus. Anyway, click below to see the pictures.


Rolls_2008_02_23

No comments: