Monday, February 04, 2008

Mountains, clouds, and snow

It rained a lot last night and today. The back yard is flooded. I mean besides the pool, there is a lot of water there. Lindsey called me at work this afternoon to tell me that she thought she saw snow on the Superstitions (they were mostly shrouded in clouds all day, so it was hard for her to tell for sure). I decided I had better go check it out after work.


I wasn't even half a mile from home when I looked over at the mountains and saw that the clouds had lifted completely off them and sure enough, the tops were covered with snow. I called Richard to let him know and he told me about a rainbow, but I couldn't see it from where I was. Check his blog for all that. He got some pictures. I was headed towards the Superstitions when Richard called me back to tell me that there was a lot of snow on Four Peaks, too. I could see a little of Four Peaks and decided to head out Bush highway, hoping the clouds would lift from Four Peaks, too. It looked like better picture potential in that direction.


As I was driving towards Four Peaks, I looked back at the Superstitions. The sun was shining on them. The snow on top was brilliant white. The base of the mountains was emerald green. In between were red, orange and brown rocks. I was in heavy traffic. I couldn't get a picture. Man, that would have been a fantastic picture, even if there were light poles and car headlights in it.


I stood on a group of about 5 rocks, hopping from one to the other to see around cacti or palo verdes, taking pictures of the snow and clouds around Four Peaks and the Goldfield Mountains for about 45 minutes. I was thankful when it got too dark to take pictures, because my fingers were too numb to button my coat. It was so pretty I didn't want to leave, but I had to thaw out. On the way home I had to stop a couple more times to get pictures of clouds and mountains. Ah, it's good to be back in the desert.


Click below to see the pictures.


Snow_2008_02_04

No comments: