Saturday, April 05, 2008

The most dangerous...

I've talked about how those little ground squirrels or whatever they are, are very dangerous because their burrows collapse under your feet and threaten to twist your ankles. I think I discovered something more dangerous though. I parked at the Massacre Grounds trailhead and was headed towards a nearby hill. I stepped on a rock about 2 feet long. It wobbled. I thought I would be able to steady it when I got the other foot on it. I got the other foot on it, and it rolled downhill. I fell to the ground rather ungracefully. It hurt. A sharp rock jabbed me in the left hand, making it ache and throb. My wrist is still stiff. My left leg scraped along the rock as I fell. What a klutz.


Remember the three classic conflicts you learned about in high school English class? Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Man, and Man vs. himself. I think that last one is going to do me in some day. Until then, I'm going to be more careful about which rocks I step on.


My hand throbbed. I thought about going back to the truck. Well, my hand will hurt there, too. I might as well wander over that way while I'm out here. I'm not going to the top of that hill, though. I think I strained a groin muscle, too. What a klutz.


It hurt to open my water bottle. It hurt to take the lens cap off and put it on. I pressed on. Carefully. Very carefully. Pictures must be taken.


Back before I had a blog, when I used to send pictures out in emails, along with silly stories, I talked about how we sometimes are derailed from our planned paths. If we pay attention, though, we can find new and wonderful things on our new path. As I circled back to the truck on a much-shortened hike, I came across several rectangles outlined with rocks. They are hard to see in the pictures because of all the growth from the winter rains. They have been there long enough to have soil piled up on their uphill sides from the occasional rain. At least a few years. There were also shards of clay pigeons scattered around. Maybe the rectangles were made by the bored children of skeet shooters. Or maybe they mark the final resting places of the Peralta family miners (who were killed by Apaches at the Massacre Grounds, and their gold scattered by the Indians). Hmm, I wonder...


Massacre_gnds_trl_2008_04_05

2 comments:

julia said...

You paid attention during high school English?

Unknown said...

Well, sometimes.