Sunday, May 10, 2009

Another experiment

I was looking at Google Earth again and saw these EveryTrail markers that seem to be similar to the @trip trip reports. I looked at a couple of the EveryTrail trips and I couldn't tell if people just didn't add any text to their pictures or if EveryTrail lacks that capability. Anyway, I was thinking about how I sometimes want to show a map of where I went without putting pictures on the map and if I want to do that with @trip I have to remember to upload the track before I geotag the pictures (or they get added to the track). It looks like I could use this EveryTrail page to create maps that show where I went, with no other info. Here's a sample map of a recent hike along the Salt River.


Hike along the Salt River at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging


One thing I like about the map is it shows the total ascending and descending feet climbed. There seems to be a problem with the data in this map, though. I didn't fall into a 1000 foot deep hole on the bank of the Salt River, but that's what the map makes it look like. That must have been when I was crawling through all those trees and the satellite reception wasn't very good. Got down to 3 or fewer satellites and the elevation data went wacky.

No comments: