Sunday, May 31, 2009

Back to the desert

After several days in sultry south Texas, it was good to be back in the desert. I had fun in Texas, but I don't miss the humidity.


I thought I should go on an easy hike since I've been a couch potato for over a week, but I would up going to the top of a group of small mountains between the Salt River and Stewart Mountain. I've been wanting to see what was on the "other side" for a while.


I saw a lot of fish hook pincushion cacti with flowers on this hike. I seem to remember that in past years they only had flowers for about a week, so I didn't have much of a chance to get pictures of them. I've been seeing flowers on them for several weeks this year, though. Most of them that I saw on this hike had closed up for the evening, though.


From 2009_05_30


The view of the other side is not unusual or even interesting, but who would know if I hadn't gone to look? I saw some other things I want to check out while I was up there. Who knows, I might find something interesting up there yet.


From 2009_05_30

On the other side of the ridge... another ridge.


I took pictures of areas in Bulldog Canyon in which I frequently hike. Even with the shadows of the late afternoon sun, it doesn't look nearly as rough as it does when you are walking across it.


From 2009_05_30

Deep washes and tall mesas look like nothing from up here.


From 2009_05_30

I've spent a lot of time wandering around out there.


From 2009_05_30

A group of four buzzards came by to check me out. I must have been moving too much. They circled a few times and left.


From 2009_05_30

I spent a lot of time over there this spring.


From 2009_05_30

There were a lot of holes like this. Something digs a quick hole, goes inside and the shoves a bunch of dirt up to block the entrance.


A map and all the pictures are below.


Another ridge at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging


2009_05_30

No comments: