Sunday, October 25, 2009

Just wandering

After spending a few hours at work, shopping for hiking water, getting gas, etc., etc., there wasn't much daylight left yesterday. After having watched parts of Super Size Me, I was determined to get out and get some exercise. Because of the time, I needed to go someplace close to home. I also wanted to go someplace I hadn't been before. I decided to drive down First Water Road and see what I could find.

I was halfway thinking about trying to get to the Massacre Grounds trailhead. I couldn't find a place to park anywhere near there, so I kept going. I stopped at a huge parking lot used by people riding horses in the Superstition Wilderness area. It was empty. I parked and started wandering around to see what I could find.


Big, empty parking lot.

From the top of a small hill near the parking lot, I could see a large, yellow rock that looked like it might be easy to get to the top of. I didn't know if I would have light long enough, but I headed in that direction.


My destination is that big yellow rock.


Goal post saguaros.

There were a lot of ups and downs along the way, but I didn't care. I needed to burn calories. It didn't take long to get to the rock. I did have to do a little hand-and-foot climbing the last 5 feet or so. Once I was on top, it was an easy stroll to the high point.


Cholla forest on top of the rock.


View of the Supes. That dust trail marks First Water Road.

One thing I like about being out in the desert is that it's quiet. Out there, it was incredibly quiet. For most of the hike, the only sounds I heard were the ones I made. Almost too quiet. I didn't think about it until I heard a bird squawk somewhere in the distance and it was like food for my starving ears. It was the first sound I'd heard other than the crunch of my footsteps and the click of the camera.


I tried to show the cliff from the top but that never works, partly because I don't like to stand close to the edge.


There's lots more to explore out there.

Click below to see all of the pictures.

2009_10_24

No comments: