Thursday, October 01, 2009

Saguaro pictures

When I was making changes to my blog template a few days ago and discovered I could add a picture to the title, I wondered what I should put a picture of there. Strangely, my first idea was a picture of me. Well, it is my blog. Then I thought about all the pictures I've taken of me and quickly discarded that idea. After all, this blog isn't about humor.

It is about the desert. I have quite a few pictures of the desert. So how do I pick one out of about 20,000 pictures? I decided that it had to have a saguaro in it, and it would be nice if Four Peaks was in the picture, too. I started looking for a picture with saguaros in it and was surprised that I had to go all the way back to February to find a decent one. I guess that since it's one of the most common things out here, I don't think much about taking pictures of them any more.

Yesterday I went out to Bulldog Canyon and started wandering around. When I started out, I was thinking that I should climb something to get some exercise. Then I remembered my lack of saguaro pictures and decided to take some.


I got things in the pictures besides saguaros.


It's difficult not to have a nice background out here.


There were clusters of saguaros.


There were solitary saguaros.


Blond saguaros...


... and brunette saguaros.


Saguaros ready for launch...


... and reclining saguaros.


Tall saguaros


Short saguaros


Even crazy saguaros

I've noticed that saguaros in a certain area seem to resemble each other. For example, most saguaros in an area might have their arms spread wide. Go half a mile from there and most of the saguaros might have their arms in close to their center. Go another half mile and they'll all look wrinkled like bulldogs. I'll take pictures in another area some time to illustrate. In the mean time, click below to see all of these pictures.

2009_09_30

2 comments:

Kim said...

Art,

I just had to drop by and let you know that the comment you left on my blog made my day. I actually got teary eyed! Thank you so much for your kind words.
Your photography is amazing!

Kim from Thinking Out Loud.

Unknown said...

I really mean it. I've read a lot of things, and it isn't often that I come across something I can't stop reading. (In fact, I think the last time that happened was in the late '90s.) You have a rare talent and I look forward to reading more of your work.

And thank you for the complement. It's a hobby that I really enjoy. Now that I have a granddaughter, I'm trying to figure out how to take pictures of people, too.