Sunday, February 14, 2010

A climb to a view

When I left the house on Saturday, I was planning to go to Tortilla Flat to see if it was possible to drive across the creek yet. It was a sunny, warm day, so I knew the traffic going out to the lake would be bad. Still, I couldn't stand being behind people puttering along at 30 to 35 mph and pulled off before I even got to the twisty part of the road.

There's a small mountain near one of the entrances to Bulldog Canyon OHV area that has an impressive looking cliff facing Apache Trail. I've been to the top of it before. The back side has a gradual slope that is easy to climb. I decided to go up there again. I took a different route this time that looked like it might be shorter. It looked like it could also be a dead end, but that didn't matter.


I decided to go to the top of those cliffs on the left.


The last time I was up there, I started climbing a long way towards the back. This time I went up a canyon nearer the front.

The desert is gearing up for spring. There are plants popping up everywhere. We might have a lot of flowers soon.

I took a lot of pictures, and put a lot of them on the web album. Maybe they'll eventually be in some cool street views.


Saguaro Lake is in that direction, but I couldn't see it.


The Superstition Mountains


I really miss the Massacre Grounds trail. I need to figure out how to get to it since the road I used to use has been closed.


Find the truck! This time, it isn't the only vehicle in the picture.

This isn't a place to hike if you want to get away from noise. It's too close to Apache Trail. Since it was such a nice day, there was quite a bit of traffic. A lot of that traffic was the noisy kind; old guys on Harleys and young guys in pickups.


This group would no doubt be proud of the racket they made.

Click here to see this hike on EveryTrail. Click below to see all of the pictures.

BC_2010_02_13

No comments: