Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bulldog Canyon. Yeah!

I tried to hike in an uninteresting part of Bulldog Canyon OHV area today, but that's hard to do. It's all cool. I parked in the middle of a "flat" area and walked in a direction where I didn't think I would be close to any trails. I thought I was a long way from where anybody else would ever go. However, I found a balloon with a rock on top of it and fresh horse hoof prints. Balloons don't crawl under rocks and there aren't any wild horses out there. There can't be anyplace that people haven't set foot around here. I guess that shouldn't be surprising with so many people around.


I took lots of pictures of saguaros today. The first picture is a saguaro skeleton. The next one looks like a couple of saguaros that are about to take ten paces, turn around, and shoot. There bases are a little discolored. It looks like there was a fire in this area a while ago. I don't know how to estimate such things but I'm guessing the fire happened about 30 years ago. There are other places near here that you can tell there were more recent fires and I've found records that say they happened in '79 and '81.


Cholla cacti seem to grow in clusters. I took the next picture from the middle of one of those clusters. Fortunately, there is always space between them. Otherwise you would have to take long detours around the clusters. There isn't anything outstanding about the picture. In fact, there are some things about it that I don't like. When I look at it, though, it just seems warm and inviting, like a picture of home. It makes me think of sitting in a big soft chair in front of a warm fire in a cozy room, sipping on hot chocolate with little marshmallows floating in it, and there is nothing urgent that needs to be done and no bills to be paid and no calls to be returned. Just peace and warmth. I don't know why it makes me think of that, but it does.


The last picture is a saguaro on its last legs. It looks almost dead but it is still putting out new growth. It looks like it is taking a bow.


No comments: