Monday, December 18, 2006

An extremely short hike

On the way home from work today, I noticed that the clouds looked like they might be good for some sunset pictures. I got the camera and headed out to the road that goes to the First Water trailhead (just past Lost Dutchman State Park on Apache Trail). It was a short hike because I got to a decent place for taking pictures of the sunset within 200 feet of the truck.

The sunset didn't turn out as spectacular as I had hoped. I did find some other interesting stuff out there. The first picture shows a memorial. These seem to be fairly common along Apache Trail. I've found them from the Superstitions to Lake Roosevelt. They are usually a very short distance from a place to park. Sometimes you can see ashes scattered around them. I didn't see any around this one.


What I came across next just seemed seemed funny. For some reason I pictured a bunch of animals sitting around and one of them tells the newcomer, "This is an exclusive club. To show that you are worthy, you have to crap on that cholla ball over there." That's too dangerous of an initiation ritual for me.


While I was waiting for the sun to set, it came through some clouds and almost lit up Four Peaks off in the distance. That's in the third picture. I was on that ridge on the left side of the picture a few blogs back.


I wish I could have recorded the coyotes, but I couldn't remember how to turn on the microphone with this camera fast enough, and they didn't howl for very long. They were close enough for once that I could have recorded them, but they didn't howl for very long. I'm going to practice so I'll be ready next time.

No comments: