Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Another ridge in Bulldog Canyon

There's a small ridge in Bulldog Canyon OHV area that I have made a few half-hearted attempts to reach the top of. I was always stopped by something, usually sunset, once by Lindsey's stomach cramps. This time I was determined to get to the top, though. I changed clothes and ate a snack when I got home from work and headed out. It wasn't until 6 pm that I started up, though. It was 78 and there was a light breeze when it wasn't blocked by terrain. This is the ridge I climbed:




It doesn't seem to be so horse shoe shaped when you are on top of it. Also, those parts that seem to have gentle slopes seem much steeper when you are on them. There's a very nice view from up there, especially if you like looking over cliffs that seem to drop away forever. I couldn't make myself get closer than about 3 feet from that edge, though. Here are the pictures from this hike:


Conquering another ridge in Bulldog Canyon


There are a couple of pictures of the view, then there's one of a stand of teddy bear cholla. I learned that you shouldn't talk on your cell phone when walking through them. I didn't start down until close to sunset, so I called Suzanne while I still had a good signal to let her know I was OK. I kept walking because I was running out of daylight. By the time I got to the other side of those cholla, both feet were covered with cholla balls and they were halfway up my legs, too. I managed to shake them off and kept going, but I kept getting poked by cholla needles until I took a shower.


There are some pictures of cholla flowers and the setting sun. I turned to get that picture of the sun and briefly thought about moving to the left a little so the tree wouldn't be in the way, and almost screamed at myself. The cliff was 3 feet to my left. Ever since I started taking pictures (25 years ago?) I've worried about falling while trying to get in position for a good picture. I hope I never do that. Talk about embarrassing.


I added some of these pictures to my map of Bulldog Canyon, in case you want to know exactly where I was, and even if you don't.

No comments: