Saturday, April 07, 2007

Black widow census

I grilled hot dogs tonight. I picked up the bag of charcoal and it was covered with spider webs. I opened it up and reached for some briquettes, but was stopped by more webs. I'm not afraid of spiders, but I've heard that black widow bites can be very painful, and I don't like pain. Have you ever tried looking for a black widow in a bag of charcoal? I went in the house and got the tongs and put briquettes into the grill one at a time. I decided to look around tonight and see how many black widows I could find. They come out at night, so they are much easier to find then. I only found 4, but I only looked for 2 or 3 minutes. I never did find the one (or several) by the grill (and those do look like black widow webs all over the grill). I couldn't find any on the front porch. I wonder if that's because I got rid of those before the trick or treaters came by. I don't use poison because I don't like killing everything. I know there's one in the garage, but I couldn't find it. Come to think of it, I might have smashed that one last week so Suzanne wouldn't encounter it while I was out of town. Anyway, here's the pictures of the ones I found.


Black widows

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg don't let mom see this blog entry! gross...