Thursday, September 18, 2008

Another surprise

I've either been too lazy or too busy to do much hiking lately. Today I had to get back out in the desert, though. I decided to climb some small hills near Bush Highway. As I walked out to the first one, I was thinking it looked kind of boring. I reminded myself that there can always be surprises, though. This is the hill.


From BC_2008_09_18


When I got to the top of the hill, I found that it was covered with river rocks. It wasn't always the top of a hill; it used to be a river bed.


A year or two ago, I was wandering around near the Salt River and noticed that a lot of rocks on the ground had been split. I finally convinced myself they were split because people used to drive cars out there and the cars had broken them. Well, I don't think many cars have been on top of that hill, and there were a lot of split rocks. I took pictures of a few of them. They're awfully boring pictures.


Then I came across this, which seemed out of place up there. It's a fence post, BTW.


From BC_2008_09_18


And then I came to this, which is an old fence around an older mine shaft.


From BC_2008_09_18


Here's a ladder coming out of the mine, which is now filled with dirt.


From BC_2008_09_18


There were a lot of small depressions in that side of the hill, as if the miners made a lot of small exploratory holes. Also, even though the hill is covered in river rocks, the inside of it seems to be volcanic rock. The tailings around the mines had a lot of quartz in them. I think the miners were looking for gold. Then I found a larger mine.


From BC_2008_09_18


There's still a large hole there. I couldn't see the end of it. Dirt piled around the entrance blocks the view. I'm going to have to go out there in the day time with a mirror to shine some light back there. I'm not crawling in there myself, though.


From BC_2008_09_18


Maybe an ogre lives in there now, and here are the bones of his latest victim.


From BC_2008_09_18


Somebody look at all of the bone pictures and tell me what kind of animal that was.


I was wondering if there was enough light to get a picture of this cactus when I noticed the anti crepuscular rays.


From BC_2008_09_18


Click below to see all of the pictures, or just watch the slide show (thought it's too small).


No comments: