Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A familiar trail

On the way home from work today, there were a few interesting clouds around. The past couple of days, I've entertained myself on the way home by trying to get pictures of other drivers talking on their cell phones with my cell phone camera. It's really hard to do, mainly because there is a 2 or 3 second delay between pushing the button and the picture being taken. Keep in mind that we are usually passing those other cars (HOV lane). I don't have a polarizing filter on my phone to cut reflections in the windows, either. Today I was also trying to get pictures of the clouds and rain showers. But I digress. Back to the clouds. I decided I needed to try to get some pictures of them with a real camera.


I changed clothes, looked for my cameras, ate a snack, looked for my cameras, put on my hiking boots, looked for my cameras... I was starting to wonder if they'd been stolen. They hadn't. They were right where I put them. I was going to go to a place that I would have a pretty good view of the east valley, which is where the pretty clouds were. By the time I got to the end of Meridian road, though, the east valley was completely devoid of clouds. Nothing but clear blue sky. I figured they'd be back, though.


There are things that my S3 IS can do that my Rebel can't, and vice versa. I've often wished I had the one with me that I didn't have at the time. So I decided to carry both. I bet I looked strange. I felt like I was going to be strangled by camera straps. I did wind up using them both, though.


I moseyed up the trail snapping pictures now and then. I stopped when the sun dipped behind the mountains to the west. I think I got some nice pictures.


I think Mom had plates with this design. Maybe she still does. Peggy?


From Meridian_2008_09_09


Here's a picture I couldn't get with the Rebel, at least not until I get a telephoto lens.


From Meridian_2008_09_09


The upper part of this trail is good ankle exercise. It used to wear me out, but I got better.


From Meridian_2008_09_09


This trail really sparkles, especially at night when there is a bright moon. Here's a picture of some of the sparkly stuff.


From Meridian_2008_09_09


You probably can't tell, but it's broken bottles. This trail is very easily accessible, so people stroll out here and toss their trash. The glass endures. It's especially evident at night, but you can see it all of the time.


The parking lot at the trail head is interesting. During the day there are empty vehicles in it. Around sunset, it empties. Then, after sunset, it starts to fill up again. The vehicles aren't empty now, though. I figure they have high school students in them. In Texas City they used to drive out to the levy at night to "watch the submarine races". I don't know what they call it here.


Click below to see all of the pictures.


No comments: