Friday, October 27, 2006

Working the Arizona Trail

I don't have any pictures from today's hike. It was a doozy, too. About 50 people from Medtronic and I met at the big camping area at Bushnell Tanks and then hiked out to a section of the Arizona Trail. It was a 2 or 3 mile hike out to the work area. We spent the morning and then a couple of hours after lunch working on a section of the trail. Then that long hike back. I have a new appreciation for the trails on which I hike now. That was very hard work. The toughest part was removing cat claw acacias that were in the trail path. We also had to move some very large rocks. If I get any pictures from anybody else next week, I'll put them here. Right now I think I'll relax for a while.

2 comments:

Web said...

I'm curious whether you've seen or spoken with any mountain bikers riding on the AZT. I'm really looking forward to riding this trail.

Respectfully,
Larry Lagarde
RideTHISbike.com
Urging bicycling for recreation, commuting, health and a better future.

Unknown said...

Larry,

I don't ride a bike and have only seen two bikes on trails in the past 3 years. The parts of the trail that I've been on seem to be well suited for bikes. It is not real steep or rocky (though some spots have steps). I have seen very little of the trail, though. I've heard of sections that are not well maintained and therefore almost impossible to traverse on foot. Just being on it will be rewarding, though. The scenery throughout Arizona is spectacular.