Sunday, January 14, 2007

FS172

Today was a beautiful day. Should have gone for a hike, but I spent most of the afternoon driving. I've been reading my "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" and read about some trails leaving from the Woodbury trailhead. It sounded like a neat place to go. It's east of here, near Superior. Click here to open a new window with a map of the general vicinity. I was on FS 172, which should show up on the map when you are zoomed to the correct level.


It was incredibly beautiful out there. I could spend a whole weekend taking pictures from the road. Click below to open a new window with a few of the pictures I took today.




The first picture is a poor picture of something interesting. Near the center, just above the saguaros in the foreground, you will see what looks like a tree trunk laying on its side. It even looks like there is still a bunch of dirt stuck to the roots. That is not what it is, though. It has to be rock. There are NO trees out there. Well, there might be some palo verdes, but they don't have trunks that are 6 feet in diameter.


I'm not going to try to describe all of the pictures. I like rocky mountains, and there are a lot of them out there. The road climbed to almost 5000 feet. I should be able to hike up there in the summer.


The last picture is of a saguaro that thinks it might be a tree. It may be a crested saguaro some day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you save the location of that saguaro on your GPS receiver so you can go back and check it out later on?