Monday, January 15, 2007

FS172, again

I decided to go see if the thing that looked like a stone arch really was a stone arch. I won't keep you in suspense. It is. Click below to open a new window with the pictures.




The first picture is just a picture. The next four are the arch. Then there's a picture of Picket Post Mountain, which is near Superior.


I took a different route back to the truck than I took on the way up. My plan was to stay out of the (cold) wind. It must have worked; my ears didn't freeze. Anyway, I walked down a wash for a while. In one stretch it had about 5 uprooted saguaro skeletons in it. Must have been one of those 100 year floods that uprooted them.


There was a geocache at the arch. I signed the log. The cache was in a notch pretty far up the arch. Not easy to get to. Short people couldn't sign it. Well, unless they had a stick.


There seem to be little roads zig zagging all over the place out there. By "little" I mean that you wouldn't want to meet somebody coming the other way because one of you would have to back up a long way. They are official national forest roads with signs. Maybe I can explore them on my ATV when the weather warms up a little (next weekend, maybe).


I carried my video camera and shot a few scenes. I taped myself getting and then putting the cache back just in case I fell. I'm having trouble getting my movies on DVD, though. The DVD burning software hangs up. I hope to have that debugged soon, though.

No comments: