Saturday, February 17, 2007

A stroll near Canyon Lake

I went for a short hike near Canyon Lake today. It's really starting to warm up. Felt like it was about 80 out there. It was also very pretty. I took 80 pictures but none of them are very impressive. You can look at a few of them anyway, though.


The first is of a "dirt island" There are lots of places that are solid bare rock and nothing can grow on them (except lichens). Sometimes there will be a small patch of dirt held in place by resurection fern. The next is a closeup of some lichen. Some of it is black. I think it must have died.


There are a lot of rocks out there that sparkle a lot in the sunshine. I tried to get pictures of them but they just didn't turn out. The next picture is one of those attempts. You just have to see them in person. Stop by some time and I'll take you out there.


Next is a cute little cactus. Fish hook pincushion I think. If not, at least that's a fitting name.


The last picture is a barrel cactus that has fallen over. They seem to fall over a lot. I saw something at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum that said they lean to the south. Some of them lean until they fall over. This one might have been leaning to the south. It looks like it's straining to get that last root out of the ground.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww that is a cute cactus! <3 I saw my first AZ cockroach yesterday while I was on a route at work. Terry (a guy I work with) stomped on it till its guts came out cause I was freaking out (it was HUGE!) and when we came back out of the building it was crawling around! *scared* I HATE ROACHES