Sunday, June 24, 2007

A bad lie

It was 108 when I left the house for today's hike. It was only 104 when I parked the truck, though. I went to Bulldog Canyon, near the deer funnel. Since it was so warm, I didn't really hike. I just kind of moseyed around the in shade of Lone / One Mountain. There was not any wind most of the time. It was very, very quiet. I could hear birds now and then and the occasional lizard skittering around. A couple of cicadas tried to scare me by going BWAAAAAAAAP! when I got close to them. Once I thought I heard sirens, then realized it was coyotes. More started howling, some of them pretty close by. I stood there listening, and watching a bird that was circling me for some reason (it wasn't a buzzard). It was so relaxing that I had to start walking again so my blood pressure wouldn't get so low that I passed out. I don't know what I would do without the desert to calm my nerves.


As I was approaching my parking spot, I saw a bird perched on top of a saguaro. I wondered why they never did that while I had my camera out. Well, today a bird posed on top of a saguaro for several pictures. I even got pictures of it eating the fruit. Unfortunately, it was in the shade of the mountain and against a bright blue sky, so the pictures are mostly silhouettes. I like the one I uploaded because the sky reflecting off its eye makes it look like it has a hole in its head. I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me what kind of bird it is.


One of the pictures is of something I find in the desert now and then. I understand how beer cans, balloons, and Wall Mart bags get out there. I can't figure out why I find so many golf balls, though. I'm not a golfer, but I think this one would be called a bad lie.


BC_2007_06_24

No comments: