Monday, August 06, 2007

Another Arizona first

Date: August 6, 2007
Time and temperature: Around sunset, low 80's.
Location: Along Meridian Road
The numbers:
13 Pictures taken
8 Pesky mosquitoes


Ramblings: One thing that always comes to mind when I try to think of things that Texas has and Arizona doesn't is lots of mosquitoes. Tonight I drove north on Meridian Road, snapping pictures of the sunset. I even got a picture from the 60 overpass. Traffic was light. I stopped at one of my favorite places for photographing sunsets and got out to take a few pictures. That's when the mosquitoes started pestering me. By Lake Jackson standards, they were next to nonexistent, but there were a lot more than I've seen in the past 4 years (except for on trips to Texas). I was glad when it was to dark for more pictures. I drove north to the end of Meridian, planning to try out my new night vision monocular in the desert. I strolled out a few feet and waited for it to get dark enough, but there were more mosquitoes. I finally got tired of swatting at them and headed home. That's the first time I've been chased off a trail here by mosquitoes. I may go again tomorrow for vengeance, with the electric fly swatter.


Sunset_2007_08_06

No comments: