Thursday, August 02, 2007

Lizard hunt

Date: August 2, 2007
Time and temperature: Start - 1754, 94
End - 1921, 89
Location: Near the Massacre Grounds trail head
Distance hiked: Maybe half a mile
Elevation change: Not much
The numbers:
62 Pictures taken
10 Lizards spotted
3 Lizards photographed
3 Millipedes seen
3 Chipmunk attacks
0 Broken ankles!
1 Bat seen
1 Tarantula seen

Ramblings: I've gotten almost no pictures of lizards over the past year, despite having a camera that can really zoom in on them. I used to see lizards hanging out all the time, but lately they seen to run hide the minute they see me. Then I realized that the ones I used to get pictures of were always near a well-traveled trail. I guess they get used to people walking by. So I headed for the Massacre Grounds trail.


I haven't been to that trail for a couple of years. It hasn't changed much. I could tell that there had been some heavy rains out there recently. I expected to find water in an old stock tank near the parking lot. I was surprised to find the water covered with some plant.


I was able to get pictures of almost every lizard I saw while on the trail. Then I wandered off the trail and watched as lizards scurried under bushes or rocks.


As I was driving out, I saw a tarantula crossing the road. I'm not used to seeing them until about October.


Lizard hunt

No comments: