Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A drier day

Date: August 7, 2007
Time and Temperature: Start - ~1820, 98
End - ~1930, 94
Location: Bulldog Canyon OHV area, near Pass Mountain
Distance hiked: About 1.2 miles
Elevation change: 370 feet
The numbers:
21 Pictures taken
2 Beetles photographed
2 Squirrel traps escaped from
1 Owl heard
1 Liter of water consumed
0.3 Horse shoes found

Ramblings: What do you suppose most people did after work today? Watch their favorite sitcom, laughing when cued by the laugh track? Watch a CSI rerun for the third time, to see 6 different re-enactments of the brutal murder of a bright young college student? Maybe they went to a noisy bar and exchanged various communicable diseases with other loud obnoxious people. Maybe they played a computer game, getting all worked up about something that nobody will even remember 1 month from now. Then they went to bed feeling not quite right, but not able to put their finger on what might be wrong. That is not what I did.


I walked among amazing plants, listening to various birds sing, surrounded by incredible scenery in every direction, breathing in the subtly sweet smell of desert plants after a rain. I might do it again tomorrow, too.


I watched a Star Trek rerun as I ate before the hike. I left the house halfway through the show. I'll never know how the crew of Voyager foiled Species 8472's plans to wipe out all life in our galaxy. Oh, well.


The dew point was below 55 this afternoon. That's the driest it's been for a couple of weeks. I didn't get too drenched, even though I did a little climbing. I headed towards Pass Mountain (see map) and almost got to the trail that goes around the mountain. The view is nice from up there.


I was out there until it got dark, and had my night vision monocular with me. It does allow me to see a lot. The infrared LED is useful for illuminating things more than 30 feet away.


OK, it's late and I'm sleepy. Here are the pictures.


BC_2007_08_07

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey goofball! i was crocheting! just bec. a CSI rerun happened to be on.... doesn't mean that was my reason for chillin in the living room! :-) so what was it that you wanted for your b-day again? if you don't tell me, you are so getting a scarf that's being made for a girl..... just thought you should know:-) love you!!!