Thursday, October 23, 2008

Color, and a dead tree

A few days ago I was talking about how the color produced by the Rebel is better than that of the S3 IS. I take that back. Neither is better. They're different, and settings can be changed that have a drastic effect on the color.


I drove into Bulldog Canyon today and stopped to take a picture of a mountain with the Rebel. Then I looked at the picture and it didn't look like the mountain. The mountain was much more garishly colored (like somebody had turned up the saturation).


I decided to take pictures in RAW mode today, so that I would have complete freedom to adjust color, contrast, sharpness, and lots of other stuff. I've been playing with this stuff for a couple of hours and I haven't tried all the knobs and buttons yet.


Then I thought about how I might get a picture adjusted the way I like it, but it might only look that way on my monitor. And then I thought that maybe I should calibrate my monitor. And then I thought that this is starting to sound obsessive.


I took a bunch of pictures of a dead tree. Here are a few of them. It's late now, and I'm going to bed. I'll calibrate the monitor, oh, when I get around to it.


No comments: