Saturday, October 11, 2008

Just off Peralta Road

It's a beautiful day today, and cool. Only got up to the low 70's. I started out heading for Canyon Lake this afternoon but decided to go down Peralta road instead. I hadn't been out that way for a while.


It's been windy for several days now. It looked really hazy on the way out there from all of the dust in the air. I parked in a small cleared spot next to the road, near a small mountain that looked like it needed climbing. I noticed this morning while doing some yard work that I still really miss all those red blood cells. Seems like I heard somewhere that it takes about 6 weeks to replace them. Maybe the stress of hiking will convince my body to replace them sooner than that. I hope so.


I started up the mountain just to see what I would see along the way. I couldn't tell if I would find a route to the top, and didn't really care if I made it to the top or not. I was going in this direction.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


Here's the view of the Superstition Mountains in the other direction.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


It seems that you can always find something interesting in the desert. Maybe I feel that way because I'm easily amused. Maybe most people find my discoveries to be quite droll. Oh well, that doesn't matter as long as I'm happy. But I digress. Let's see, something interesting. Oh yeah, part way up I saw what looked like a seldom traveled trail. As I was trying to see where it came from and where it went, I heard a metallic rattling sound (remember the wind?). Looking towards the sound, I saw what there seem to be a lot of in the desert; a memorial to a lost loved one. The wreath and pieces of artificial flowers had been scattered by the weather.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


There was a small American flag folded up on the ground near the cross. Normally I don't touch these memorials, but seeing the flag made me thing of our troops in the middle east. I placed the flag in a plastic box full of rocks at the base of the memorial.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


You can see that his (or her) buddies drank some beer, and left some beer there, too. It was tempting, but it was Budweiser so I was able to resist.


The view from where I stopped climbing was nice.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


From Peralta_2008_10_11


The wind was really annoying, so I headed down. I drove the rest of the way to the Peralta trailhead. I stopped at the Lost Goldmine trailhead. This sign made me wonder about something. If they do a background check on people buying guns, why don't they also do a brain check? Maybe it's for the same reason that tobacco isn't outlawed; it would put too many people out of business and be a disaster for the economy.


From Peralta_2008_10_11


Click below to go to the web album with all of the pictures (no HDRI today).


Peralta_2008_10_11

No comments: