Thursday, February 05, 2009

More stereo pictures, a sunset, and more

Cold, wet weather is forecast for this weekend, so I decided to go for a walk in the desert while it's nice. I went out to Bulldog Canyon, parked and walked towards a spot that looked mostly boring, to prove to myself that it wouldn't be boring. It was very green and pretty. Every once in a while, I would catch a whiff of something very sweet smelling. I couldn't find where the smell was coming from, though. It was very quiet; only one guy puttered slowly by on an ATV just after I parked the truck.


It was overcast and a little late in the day, so I didn't think a stereo picture of a mountain would work. I took several stereo pictures of saguaros, though. When I got home and downloaded them, it looked like most of them probably wouldn't work as stereo photos. It looked like I had tilted the camera between pictures, or had the camera pointed higher for one of the pictures than the other. I decided to try making a stereo picture of one of them and it turned out pretty good. I tried another it it worked just fine. I tried the worst looking pair, and they were fine. I guess the slight difference in the angle from which the picture is taken can make the pictures look very different when you switch back and forth between them. Here are the stereo saguaros. Remember, use the crossed-eyes method to view these.












I also made a stereo picture of a pile of rocks.




As I was on my way away from the truck, I crossed a few washes. They were full of horse and deer tracks, going up and down stream. If I wanted to wait for some wildlife to go by and get their picture, that would be the place to do it. There are also trails made by animals out there, kind of like wildlife roadways.




I had just started back to the truck when I saw a deer about 30 yards away from me. I got a camera out as fast as I could, but the deer was already hiding behind a tree. Then it walked away slowly and I got a couple of videos. Here's one.




I haven't uploaded the other one, yet. Maybe tomorrow.


There was a very nice sunset. I took a few pictures for Peggy.




I was a little perturbed when I left the truck because I didn't have my flashlight. It's in the house somewhere, I think. The moon is more than half full, though, so I wasn't too worried. Until I got to the gate, that is. The lock is kind of inside of a cylinder. Car headlights don't shine on it. I did have my backpack, though, and I keep a mirror in it. Perfect. I didn't have to spend the night in the truck.


BC_2009_02_05

2 comments:

Scott said...

Another great set, Art. I like the stereo shots. Also, great job capturing the color on the sunset photos, the silhouettes are great.

Unknown said...

Thanks. One reason I bought the Canon S3 IS a few years ago was because it has 12x analog zoom. Many times, there are spectacular colors in a sunset, but they don't look very good as a tiny sliver across the middle of your picture. With the zoom, I can fill the picture with color. Those deep reds just above the horizon near the end of the sunset become the whole picture.