Thursday, February 19, 2009

New lens

Ever since I got my Rebel, I've wanted a lens that would let me zoom in more. I kept putting off buying one, though, because I didn't think I would go to all the trouble of swapping lenses while I was hiking. I was looking at the Canon web site a few days ago and saw that they have an 18mm - 200mm lens. That would give me about as much zoom range as my old S3 IS. So I bought it. I can see the drawbacks that were mentioned in the review I read (Chromatic aberration, vignetting), but I am still very pleased with the zoom capability. I haven't played around with it enough to decide if I can take pictures that look as good as with my other lens. Also, the camera came with software to correct for some of the lenses problems, but I haven't had a chance to play with that, either. If fact, today was the first day I took pictures of anything besides the cat and Lindsey with it. I went out to Bulldog Canyon and took pictures of rocks and cacti and mountains for a while. I made a few 3D photos. Here's a picture of the new lens, taken with the new lens.




Yes, I am that fast. This is zoomed out all the way:




And zoomed in all the way from the same spot.




Here's a sample of a 3D picture. Remember, crossed eyes method.




2009_02_19

No comments: