Monday, November 16, 2009

Wind Cave trail

One of the most popular hiking trails in the Phoenix area is the Wind Cave trail. It starts from Usery Mountain park and goes up to a hollowed out area in the side of Pass Mountain (sometimes called "Scarface" by the locals). There's a nice view from the top. I was up there in 2003 and haven't gone back because I'm not too crazy about popular trails. Lindsey and her friend Shawna decided that they wanted to climb it, though, and they wanted me to come along. I wonder if they just wanted my SPOT along in case something happened. There's probably a good cell phone signal all along the trail, though. Anyway, I had a really lousy camera the last time I was up there, so I wanted to go up there with a better one.


The trail is very well maintained and easy to follow.

We started out at about 3:30. The girls complained a little but had almost no trouble with the hike. The weather was beautiful; cool with a light breeze.


The cave is in that shady spot up there.


The Fountain Hills fountain is visible from the trail. Heck, I can't think of a place it can't be seen from.


Lindsey and Shawna relaxing in the cave.

Between rest stops and picture stops, it took us about an hour to get to the top. There were people up there that got there in half an hour, then turned around and went right back down. I guess if you have got to exercise, that's a great place to do it.


We're up even with the stripe.


It isn't much of a cave, so there's a sign to let you know when you've arrived.

Click below for all of the pictures.

2009_11_15

No comments: