Friday, March 21, 2008

Desert tortoise on Lone Mountain

I climbed Lone Mountain after work today. There have been further improvements to the new trail going up there. Small stone benches have been placed at intervals along the trail. You wouldn't notice them if you weren't looking for them, though. They are especially hard to see with all the spring growth around them right now.


There was a humming bird at the top of the mountain. It wouldn't let me take its picture. There were also clusters of butterflies up there. I could hear their wings beating as they fluttered back and forth very fast. I couldn't get a picture of them, either.


As I was headed down the trail back to the truck, I came upon a desert tortoise. He was headed down the trail in the same direction as me. When he saw me, he tucked into his shell. I got out of sight, planning to get some more pictures when he came out of his shell. He cleverly kept a bush between me and him, so I didn't see him leave the trail. I caught him sneaking away, though, and made a short video. Pictures and video are below.


BC_2008_03_21


No comments: