Monday, December 22, 2008

First Water Creek, with water!

Kyle and I went down to First Water Creek today. It was overcast and gloomy and cold. Well, about 50, which is cold to me. I was still soaked with sweat, though. It was very humid. In fact, it's raining pretty hard as I write this.


We were hoping to see some waterfalls. There wasn't enough flowing water, though. We hiked to the bottom of the 90 foot waterfall. There was water dribbling over it, but it wasn't much of a waterfall.


I made a video so you could hear the water flowing.




And here's the map. Since we were in a canyon, we didn't have very good GPS coverage. If you look at the altitude vs. distance graph, it looks like we took an elevator up and down a tall buidling in the middle of the hike. We didn't. I think there were altitude errors due to the poor GPS coverage. It also looks like we didn't have good coverage for the SPOT (don't know if that was a GPS problem or communication satellite problem). It didn't report location for over an hour, and it should have been doing it every 10 minutes. I'll have to remember to not have any disasters in a canyon ;-)




We were halfway thinking about hanging around at the base of the falls until some water started flowing. Yep, in a desert. Could be there for months. Actually it started to rain while we were there. We had umbrellas. I was thinking about what it would be like if a wall of water came roaring down that narrow canyon. I was starting to get cool, too. Fortunately Kyle was getting cold, too, so he didn't mind heading back. It sprinkled off and on all the way back and started to rain hard just after we got in the truck.


2008_12_22

No comments: