Friday, December 26, 2008

No snow

I thought there might be some snow on the Superstitions today, but I was wrong. I could see a light dusting on Four Peaks. There was also a little snow on some mountains far off to the east. I drove east, out to Hewitt Canyon Road, thinking I would get some pictures of the mountains and clouds out there. Didn't get any good pictures of the clouds, though. Gee, two strikes so far.


I can't find the name of the creek that winds through there, but the road crosses it several times. There was water flowing in it today. I came to a spot where I decided it might be too deep for me to cross and stopped. Then an ATV went across and I could see it wasn't very deep, so I crossed again. About 100 feet later I came to another spot I didn't want to cross, and saw other potentially troublesome spots further up stream. I decided to not push my luck.


I got out and scrambled around on the rocks some, and took a few pictures. While I was up there, this guy on a bike stopped in the middle of the stream. I don't know why. He stayed there at least a minute. I wonder if his boots were waterproof.


From Hewitt_Cnyn_rd_2008_12_26


He didn't have any trouble crossing the stream in other places. Another guy did. First, though, take a look at him in this picture. Notice that he is wearing tennis shoes (or something similar) that he is trying to keep out of the water.


From Hewitt_Cnyn_rd_2008_12_26


Now here he is, stuck. He's still making some effort to keep his feet dry.


From Hewitt_Cnyn_rd_2008_12_26


Here you can see that he has abandoned all hope of keeping his feet dry.


From Hewitt_Cnyn_rd_2008_12_26


The air was in the mid 40's. I doubt that the water was any warmer. I don't see how his ride after that could have been any fun at all. I would have had only two things on my mind after something like that. A hot shower and dry clothes. OK, I'm a wimp, I admit it. But I like to be a warm, dry wimp. I'll tolerate cold, but not wet and cold.


Hewitt_Cnyn_rd_2008_12_26

No comments: