Saturday, December 06, 2008

Sunset from Papago Park

Kyle thinks I should get pictures of a sunset that have the buildings of downtown Phoenix in them. I checked a map and found some hills that looked like they might be in the right place in Papago park. We went there today to check it out, even though there were heavy clouds on the western horizon. There was a place to park right next to one of the hills. We scrambled up and started taking pictures. It was surprisingly pleasant, despite being in the middle of town.


The only pictures that look halfway decent are HDRIs, except for one picture of a helicopter that Kyle took.


It wasn't much of a hike, but I used the i-gotU anyway.




2008_12_06


I ran across something the other day that I thought might be great for documenting hikes, but after reading about it some more I decided it wouldn't be good for that because I would be taking pictures 90% of the time and hiking 10%. I'm still going to experiment with it to see what I can create. It's called Photosynth and it's free software from Microsoft. It takes a bunch (a big bunch) of pictures of something and synthesizes a "3D" view from the pictures. At first I thought it would be cool to create photosynth's of mountains or canyons, but it would probably take months to get all the pictures necessary for something of that scale. I'll think of something easier to use it on, though.

No comments: