Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hazardous area, and SPOT

I just read an interesting article about the risk of dieing of natural hazards in various regions of the U.S. The county in which I live is colored red, which is one of the worst areas. It's probably the heat that kills them here. The red goes on up into northern Arizona. It's probably the cold that gets them there. I don't think falling or driving off of cliffs is included in this map.


I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had bought a SPOT satellite messenger. It uses GPS for navigation, which works most places that I go. It also uses satellite communication to relay status information. I can send an "I'm OK" signal, or a "I'm broke down in the middle of nowhere. Send help" or an "I'm injured. HELP!" message. I also signed up for the tracking service, which allows people to go to a web page and see where I am, almost real time (location is transmitted every 10 minutes). That was handy the last time I drove to Texas. Instead of people trying to talk to me as I was loosing my cell signal, they just checked the web page and knew where I was.


Many of the places I hike, even "close" to town, don't have cell service. I've gotten home an hour or more after sunset a couple of times and Sweetums says, "Oh, there you are. I was worried." I always wondered how much she would worry before she tried to call and decided that I must be in trouble. Sometimes I tell her to start worrying if I'm not home by a certain time, but then I feel like I have to watch the clock to be sure I'm back to a cell phone service area so I can check in with her before my time is up. I don't want to be rescued if I don't need it.


Anyway, this satellite messenger is the perfect solution. Sweetums can tell where I am and if I'm moving, so she doesn't have to worry. I don't have to worry, either, because if I get in trouble all I have to do is push the "911" button. Unlike my cell phone or camera, the SPOT works at temperatures much higher than I can stand, it floats, and so far I've dropped it on the garage floor once with no apparent damage. Now, if I ever have trouble, I have to remember to do it in such a way that I don't smack my head or drop my SPOT in a river or fall on it and smash it or something like that. You know what they say; try to make something idiot proof, and somebody will come along with a better idiot.


I'll have a link to my tracking page on the right side of my blog so anybody can check it. Maybe you'll catch me on a hike. Right now it still has the data from my last hike on it.

2 comments:

Scott said...

That's an interesting map. Looks like Monterey and vicinity is pretty safe. As far as my home state of Colorado goes, there's a blotch up north where Rocky Mtn. Nat. Park is, which I attribute to the sheer number of people that go there, and some to the west where the ski areas and 14'ers are, probably due to cold and, sometimes lightening.

You are the Batman of hikers - you have all the best gear!

Unknown said...

Yes, I've been wondering if I hike with too many gadgets. Two cameras, cell phone, GPS data logger, satellite messenger, GPS mapping receiver, lens filters, knives, pliers, a saw, a mirror, miniature tripod, spare batteries, spare shoe laces, ... Well, you just never know what you'll need. I should go through my back pack. I've probably forgotten what all is in there. I know I don't have a shovel or a way to start a fire. I guess the day that I think about lightening my load by taking out some water will be the day that it's time to ditch some of the junk.