Friday, January 02, 2009

Another hike near Canyon Lake

I was looking at pictures from my last hike and realized that it might be pretty easy to hike to a spot that would overlook the dam that forms Canyon Lake. I've been wanting to see that dam for several years. It can't be seen from any roads. I had even thought about using a kayak to see it from the lake. Well, it turns out that you can hike to a spot to see the dam. You have to peer over a cliff edge to see it. I don't like being on cliff edges.


Near the beginning of the hike, I found a bunch of rocks that must have a lot of iron in them. There's a magnet stuck to the side of one in this picture.


From 2009_01_02


This is cool looking. It's a column of rock joined to the cliff face at its top and bottom. It has a spherical rock jammed between it and the cliff face.


From 2009_01_02


This made me a little nervous. Can you imagine the size of a rabbit that would make this shadow?


From 2009_01_02


Here's the dam, BTW.


From 2009_01_02


The best part about the hike is that I was able to get on top of one of those cliffs hanging over Canyon Lake. The view was fantastic all around. Here's a view of the lake from the cliff.


From 2009_01_02


In this picture, you can see the trail that Steve and I were on Tuesday.


From 2009_01_02


I got a couple of pictures of a squirrel.


From 2009_01_02


I also got a short video of a bouncing bird.




OK, time for a contest. The winner gets a framed, autographed picture of something. Since Lauren will probably know what the answer is without even looking, she can't put her answers as comments on the blog.


I frequently make minor edits to my pictures. The edits usually consist of changes to contrast or brightness and sometimes cropping. However, in the group of pictures from today's hike, I made edits to the contents of one picture. Which picture, and what edits were made?




2009_01_02

10 comments:

Lauren said...

>.>
<.<

Unknown said...

Hmm, what does that mean? Did you find the edited picture?

Lauren said...

that is supposed to be eyes looking to the right and then to the left. I'm looking for answers from other people since I'm not allowed to do it myself lol. if I found it, I can just tell you through google chat or something right?

Unknown said...

Yes, or an email. Nobody else has even mentioned the contest. Maybe nobody reads the blog.

Scott said...

Is the change the HDRI of picture number 28?

Unknown said...

Finally, a guess. Wrong, though. Sorry. Maybe the change is too subtle.

It's kind of a sloppy editing job. I thought that would make it stand out. Also, I thought people might see it and think, "That can't be real", but I guess it's the type of thing that people usually don't pay much attention too.

Since it's been almost a week, I guess it's time to start giving hints. Let's see, does saying that the edit was made to a man-made object narrow it down? Maybe not enough. Looks like there are lots of man made objects in this set of pictures. The edit was not made to make a picture look better or worse. It affects only a small area of the picture. The edited area can be easily seen without magnifying the picture, but I can't tell it's edited until I magnify it (the little magnifying glass to the upper right of the picture).

More clues tomorrow if nobody gets it.

Lauren said...

I figured it would be the picture with the magnet since you talk about it in your entry... but I can't tell anything has been edited. Only thing I see is that the sky looks so BLUE lol

Unknown said...

Nope, that's not the picture. Why would I edit that? And don't you remember that the sky is blue here? The polarizing filter makes it a deeper blue, but that's not an edit.

Lauren said...

I can't wait till I get back to AZ!!! There are too many clouds here to see much of the sky... and it's cold /complain

Unknown said...

You know, I think this contest was too hard. Too many pictures to look through, and too subtle of an edit. I thought Lauren would find it because she's seen me make that edit before, but even she didn't see it. I'll have to come up with another contest soon.

The edited picture is the one that shows the back of my truck. I edited the license plate.