Friday, January 16, 2009

The days are too short

I went back to the same place today, to climb the other hill. It's much bigger than it looked, though. I didn't even get around to the side I needed to be on to start climbing before it started getting dark. I'll have to go earlier in the day. Maybe this weekend. If my ankle isn't too sore.


I had a comment on one of my pictures yesterday that I thought would generate some questions. It didn't. Nobody asked about the skid mark where I fell. When I fell, I was so surprised by the fact that I was falling, and so busy preparing to hit the ground, that I was not able to remember why I fell. It's not because I'm absent minded or anything. It's a proven fact that if people are presented with certain types of information in rapid succession, the first piece of information can be so completely forgotten they will swear they never saw it. I knew I had fallen for some reason though, because the ground was approaching rather rapidly. I quickly thought about various options for getting my feet back under me or what parts of my body should hit the ground first and in what orientation, and what the possible consequences were in terms of injury or damage to cameras. I opted for landing in a sitting position with my left leg under me, with the foot to the right. It was a good choice. It was a soft landing. No joints were stressed; no muscles strained. No cameras experienced sudden shock or high G forces. Much to my amazement, I didn't even get any cactus thorns in my leg. All I got (or so I thought at the time) was two almost invisible scratches on my leg.


I kept trying to figure out why I fell. I could not remember what happened. I was walking down a slope that was not terribly steep. It should not have been a problem at all. The next thing I know, I'm headed for the ground. This morning I was trying to figure out why my ankle hurt. Then I put 2 and 2 together. I must have stepped on a rock that made my foot roll and then slide. I tend to take weight off of a leg as soon as I feel an ankle twisting. Hitting the ground has always felt a lot better than a twisted ankle.


Anyway, I'm feeling kind of lazy tonight. Here's all the stuff.




2009_01_16

No comments: