Saturday, April 04, 2009

Flowers and rocks

Suzanne and I went out Four Peaks road a ways today. We went to see flowers, and there were a lot. Prickly pears are starting to bloom. Hedgehogs are still covered with flowers. We only saw one buckhorn cholla flower on the drive, though.



Prickly pear flower.



Hedgehog cactus flowers.


I had to go for a short hike this afternoon. On the way back from our drive, I saw an area near Saguaro Lake that I wanted to explore, so I dropped Suzanne off at the house and headed back there. I was surprised to see several buckhorn chollas covered with flowers.




I thought I was just going to wander around out there, but I found a road so I followed it. It used to be a road, but it's blocked with large boulders at Bush Highway. It's a short road, and at the far end there are lots of large boulders. This must be where they dumped rocks that were excavated during the construction of Bush Highway.



Lots of large rocks.



There's a horse trail through here, too.


I decided I should climb a nearby hill to get a better picture of all the rocks (and because I've got to climb something). When I got to the top I discovered I also had a view of the lake.



Saguaro Lake and Four Peaks.



The rocks from a hill.


There was a bigger hill to the east, so I decided I should see what the rocks looked like from there.



Hmm, they look like rocks.



Saguaro Lake looks pretty much the same from here.



The road.


I was too hungry to hang around for sunset. Click below to see all of the pictures.


2009_04_04

No comments: