Sunday, April 19, 2009

A hiker falls

On Friday there was something in the news about a hiker that had fallen in the Superstition Wilderness area and had to be rescued. There was an article in the paper and lots of comments on it. A lot of the comments said people shouldn't hike alone, or only experienced hikers should hike alone, etc etc. Below is a copy of a comment from one of the hikers relatives. The description of the situation surrounding the fall is just the type of thing I make a point of avoiding. I have a lot of rules for myself when I go hiking, and one of them is, "Do not get close enough to a cliff such that if I slip and then slide or roll for what seems a ridiculously long distance, I would go over the cliff." The safe distance depends on the steepness of the slope above the cliff, if I'm on a trail (not likely to crumble away), condition of the ground, etc. I sometimes hike on pretty steep slopes, but in those cases I would have to roll many many yards, and miss all the cacti and trees on the way, to go over a cliff. It seems that maybe this guy didn't have a rule like that. I suppose it's also possible that he didn't know he was that close to the edge.


I saw your comment about my family member, and I just had to respond. Rest assured he is alive because he was so prepared. He had a first aid kit-he boud his own wounds- rationed his water. He fell about 50 feet. He was on top of the mountain, near second water- about 10 feet away from a sloping area that went off the edge, headed back down. He steped and the ground gave way, a chunck of the top soil just started to slide and it sent him off the edge along with dirt and rocks, it took about 1 second and he was over the edge. Most likly due to all the much needed rain. I agree- hiking alone- not the best idea in rough country, but those Eagle Scouts are prepared. It was a crazy freak thing. I am not sure anyone would ever dream of that happening. I am eternally greatful to the men and women who did not give up on him and God. Maybe this changes your mind? Maybe not. But now you are informed.


I wouldn't say the guy was careless without knowing more about the situation. He was more prepared than me in some ways; I don't carry first aid supplies. I figure that if I need a bandage, I'll end up with a missing sleeve or a short pants leg or something. He doesn't seem to have a SPOT satellite messenger, but I regard that the same way my father always felt about 4 wheel drive vehicles (it just means you can get stuck better before somebody has to pull you out). Taking chances because I've got a SPOT would be stupid. What if that chance results in a concussion, a broken SPOT, or a broken leg in a canyon where there is no visibility of the communication satellite? I'd be toast. When you start to feel safe is when you are in the most danger. Stay alert.

No comments: