Sunday, April 26, 2009

Return to an old trail

I suppose that if you want to get technical about it, they are all old trails. What I mean is, I hiked this trail a long time ago. I don't know the name of it. It's down FR80, which is east of Tortilla Flat.


I had tried to geotag pictures I had taken on that trail before, but it was in a low resolution area of Google Earth so it was very difficult to tell what was where. It's high resolution now, but I'm not sure that would have helped with the geotagging. I don't think it's an official trail, so it isn't used much, so it's difficult to see even with the high resolution. I have my igotU, though, and so now it's easy to geotag the pictures and to tell where I actually was.


Speaking of the igotU, I downloaded an update to the software yesterday. It has some new features, and I was hoping it would fix the occasional crash I've been experiencing. Well, the first time I used it after the update, it crashed. Rats.


Whoa, I just looked at the @trip web site. I seem to be first on their list of featured authors, and here I am trashing their software. Wait, I'm not trashing it. I just described what I experienced. I trash microsoft software, not @trip software. But I digress.


In looking at the placement of the pictures on Google Earth, it looks like the trail is halfway up a vertical cliff. I guess when I think back to the cliff going straight up to my right and the vertical drop just a little to my left, that is probably correct.



Looking back at the parking area.



The Supes can be seen from the trail.



No, I didn't hold the camera crooked. The ground slopes to the west.



I got pictures of another fish hook pincushion cactus flower.


It was very windy, which can be annoying but was very nice. It kept the gnats away and kept us cool (it was only in the mid 80's, too). One reason I picked this trail is it's away from the valley, and I hoped it would also be away from the dust being stirred up in the valley by the wind. It did seem a little less dusty out there.



Had a good view of the river/lake this time.



There's a nice view from here.


FR80_2009_04_25

No comments: